Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What are the advantages and disadvantages of digital compared to analogue studio recording technology?

I am a University student and I am doing my dissertation on analogue and digital studio recording technology. If there is anybody relevant with this subject with experience I would really appreciate to email me so I can email back a questionnaire regarding my dissertation. Thank you all

What are the advantages and disadvantages of digital compared to analogue studio recording technology?
analog has a warmer, more realistic feeling, it is however very expensive for anything even half decent. also, editing is destructive, there is no "undo" button. it is also a lot harder to use





digital may not have the same realistic feel to it, but by adding a single analog piece (the favorite is a tube compressor) you can gain that warmth back. digital is much better pound-for-pound, and any editing is non-destructive, and if it can be, you wil be asked numerous times if you want to make this change by your computer.





everything goes to digital eventually anymore, cds and mp3s being the most common playback methods for music anymore
Reply:Analog presents a nice warm feeling as compared to the digital recordings. I've done both analog and digital (I do digital now). With analog it was much more difficult to put recordings together due to a lot of limitations with the # of available tracks -- I only had 8 available. With digital going thru a computer, it's essentially limitless. The sound from a digital recording is a bit 'sterile' and needs effects to liven up the sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment